TEHRAN: Iran has warned the United States that any renewed aggression would provoke an even stronger response, with Iranian officials saying Tehran has learned lessons from recent clashes and would respond with “more surprises” if hostilities resume.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, in a post on social media platform X, claimed that Washington had acknowledged in the US Congress the loss of “dozens of aircraft worth billions of dollars” during the recent conflict.
He also repeated Iran’s assertion that its forces were the first to shoot down a Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II fighter aircraft belonging to the United States, adding that Iran’s military had gained valuable operational experience.
“With lessons learned and knowledge we gained, return to war will feature many more surprises,” Araghchi wrote.
Iranian officials have repeatedly portrayed recent confrontations as a demonstration of Tehran’s military capabilities against the United States and its allies. Washington, however, has not confirmed the scale of losses claimed by Iran.
Iran rejects CENTCOM claims over Minab school strike
In a separate statement, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei rejected claims made by United States Central Command regarding an alleged strike on a school in Minab.
Baqaei described the US account as a “baseless fabrication” and a “shameless distortion”.
CENTCOM had earlier stated that the targeted Shajareh Tayyebeh elementary school in Minab was situated near a missile launch facility linked to Iran’s Revolutionary Guard.
The Iranian spokesperson said the US narrative was an attempt to obscure what he described as a February 28 strike that killed more than 170 schoolchildren and teachers.
“Targeting an active educational institution during school hours constitutes a grave violation of international humanitarian law and a clear war crime,” Baqaei said in a statement shared on X.
The United States has not independently verified the casualty figures cited by Iran and has maintained that its strikes targeted military infrastructure.
US reportedly seizes tanker linked to Iran
Separately, US media reported that American forces seized an oil tanker linked to Iran in the Indian Ocean.
The vessel, identified as Sky View, had reportedly been sanctioned in March for allegedly transporting Iranian crude oil.
According to reports, the tanker may have loaded more than one million barrels of crude from Iran’s Kharg Island in February.
Iranian authorities did not immediately comment on the reported seizure.
Trump says conflict could end quickly
Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump said there had been “positive progress” regarding Iran and suggested the conflict could be brought to a swift end.
Speaking to reporters, Trump claimed Iran’s military capabilities had been “decimated” and warned that renewed strikes could occur within days.
“We will not allow Iran to have nuclear weapons,” he said, adding that Tehran could threaten Israel if it acquired such capability.
Iran has consistently denied seeking nuclear weapons and has accused Washington of escalating regional tensions through military pressure and sanctions.