Pakistan

PTI slams Punjab govt for ‘acquiring Rs11bn jet for CM Maryam’

PTI

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Information Secretary Sheikh Waqas Akram on Thursday criticised the Punjab government over reports of acquiring a luxury Gulfstream business jet worth $38-42 million, alleging it was intended exclusively for the chief minister’s personal use.

Reacting to the reports circulating on social media, Waqas described the alleged purchase as glaring hypocrisy at a time when the government publicly advocates austerity while the country grapples with record unemployment, soaring inflation and economic strain.

He questioned how authorities could justify spending billions of rupees on a high-end VIP aircraft when nearly half of the population lives below the poverty line and the country remains dependent on foreign loans and heavy borrowing.

Waqas warned that such expenditure reflects a disconnect from public hardship and a disregard for citizens’ suffering. He said the people would not tolerate what he termed the squandering of public funds for personal luxury and vowed that those responsible would be held accountable.

Separately, the PTI spokesperson expressed concern over what he called growing public anxiety regarding the health of former prime minister Imran Khan. He demanded that Khan’s personal physicians be granted immediate and unrestricted access to conduct all necessary medical examinations.

In a statement issued by the party’s Central Media Department, Waqas said the matter was not merely political but a test of national trust, human rights and governmental responsibility.

He maintained that any ambiguity surrounding the health of a leader who commands the confidence of millions was unacceptable, adding that the government’s silence had intensified public unease.

Waqas called for full transparency, including permission for blood tests and other diagnostic procedures, and said that if specialised evaluations were required, Khan should be allowed to visit a hospital or diagnostic centre of his choice.

He said significant time had already been lost amid concerns over Khan’s health and warned that no further delay would be acceptable.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*